Monday, January 2, 2012

Day 8 - Sydney Reflections & Travel to Brisbane

Class Reflections on Sydney:

Built Environment:
Australians are very mindful of water usage. Everywhere we visited, I noticed dual flush toilets, waterless urinals, and signs notating the use of greywater. While I was hunting for a project for our temporary structures assignment, I came across a rainwater collection tank on a University building. Also, I noticed the prominent use of drip irrigation rather than the conventional sprays. These drip systems water the plant directly to minimize waste.

Natural Environment:
Sydney is located on the coast so we were able to see water from almost every point in the city. The bay fingers off creating the beautiful lagoons. Sydney harbor has to be one of the most beautiful in the world. I was also surprised how hilly the city was. Australian stereotype is the never-ending flatness of the Outback. I did not realize Sydney sat at the foothills of the Blue mountain range.






Local Culture:
Truthfully, I had a hard time labeling the majority culture. Sydney is a multicultural melting pot and I noticed more of the Asian culture than anything else. However, I was able to get a feel for the true Australian culture. They seem to be extremely laid back and lead comfortable lifestyles (at least people my age). Most everyone I saw was dressed in some type of beach style apparel and enjoying themselves in the city. I suppose I have a tainted view on this since we were in Sydney during most people's vacation period. Nonetheless, I feel many Australian value comfort & social life over the stresses of work.
Locals during our visit to Bondi Beach


Minority Culture: 
Many would think that the Aboriginal culture would be the minority culture in Sydney. I do not agree with this statement. I can truly say I saw maybe one or two Aboriginal street performers the entire time I was in Sydney. A few stores were located around advertising Aboriginal art, but I have a hard time claiming a culture to be a minority when it is pretty much nonexistent. The most prominent minority culture was those of Asian influence. Sydney, much like NYC or any other large city, seems to be the center for much Asian migration. There are a ton of Thai, Chinese, and Korean food venues and stores throughout the city. 



One of the Asian inspired restaurants we visited.


Conversation with a Native: During our celebration of New Years in Sydney's harbor, our group happened to be seated next to a wonderful couple named Patricia & Alfred. Alfred is a native of Australia and his wife Patricia is originally from Madagascar. They thought our group was absolutely wonderful. Patricia explained all the sites we needed to visit and really was intrigued by our accents and culture in the USA. I find it amazing for someone to be asking us about our lives when we are here attempting to understand theirs. Anyhow, after many hours of socializing with the couple, we parted ways.

Travel to Brisbane:
What a ridiculous day this has been. As we arrive to the Sydney airport to board our 10:50am Jetstar flight to Brisbane, we realize that we need to check our bags. Usually checked bags run no more than $20.00 a piece. As we check in, each one of us was slapped with an $80.00 checked baggage fee because we did not select that we had baggage online. What a racket. I suppose these bogus fees is how the Jetstar budget airline is able to make money. Also, it was like a Walmart check out line while we waited. There were 10+ check in stations and only 5 open, while over 200 people waited in line to check in. Unused lines is something I will never understand. I suppose that will remain one of life's unsolved mysteries. After landing in Brisbane, I immediately knew I would love this place. This city is such a breath of fresh air compared to the ridiculous hustle and bustle of Sydney. Because Brisbane is smaller, they do not have as thorough of a public transportation as Sydney. I am willing to accept that tradeoff. After arriving at our new apartment-style hotel, I was relieved to find our own private bathrooms and the best yet.... Air conditioning. I guess the saying "you don't know what you have until it is gone" is completely true. I never realized how much I take a simple life amenity for granted. Another nice surprise is the grocery store on the bottom floor of our building. We have decided to "save" money and grill out by the pool tonight. We will see how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment