Once we got on the beach, we laid on our towels for a while. It didn't take 20 minutes for me to feel like my flesh was in a deep fryer. I applied my 50 spf sunscreen thinking that is PLENTY to ward off the Australian sun rays. I never wear more than 30 spf in the states at the beach and fare pretty well. After we all were about to die of heatstrokes, we went into the ocean. It is so strange to me that there are designated swim areas here, each about 100 feet in length. This is so surfers can go outside to of the swim area and not have swimmers in their way. Also, the lifeguards are posted on the swim areas and judging by the history here, they have a full time job. I never realized how strong the currents are until I got in the water. These waves knock you down. I lost my sunglasses once but was fast enough to find them. Andrew lost his and never was able to find him. I guess that was his $100.00 admittance fee the the ocean. We weren't able to stay in for any longer than 30 minutes because it completely wears you out to jump those waves and to continually brace yourself. I can easily see how someone could panic and drown in these waters.
After leaving the beach, a group of us went to each sandwiches at a place called "Tasconi's". They also were advertising $10.00 lunch specials. Their BLT sandwich may be the best I have ever had in my lifetime. It was during lunch that all of us realized how fried we were. Apparently 50 spf sunscreen does nothing to protect you. I had a serious case of sunburn on my legs. Thank goodness I was able to get some aftersun lotion on the way home. That bottle is nearly empty after one day since everyone in our group got fried.
We cooked in again tonight. This time we had hamburgers, fries, salad, and cookies. Andrew decided to explain his method of dressing hamburgers with peanut butter. Some others did it and claimed it tasted good but I don't see any possibility in that combination being appetizing. To my stupidity, Andrew also suffered 2 burn brandings on his arms where I bumped into him with a hot pan while we were both preparing dinner. I suppose there were too many cooks in the kitchen. After dinner, we played a game of "would you rather" that, thanks to Matt, got really weird really fast. I guess that was our cues that all of us were delirious and needed sleep after being in the sun all day.
Have to be up early tomorrow to clean and check out. We are headed back to Brisbane to meet with our professors and check back into our hotel apartments. Hopefully we will be able to go to the public library tomorrow to get some work done.

The Gold Coast was awesome. We were able to have such a good time together yet spend very little money. It was a great bonding experience, and a must-see place for anyone coming to Australia. Reel, you're the best!
ReplyDelete