Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 24 - Melbourne

Friday January 20, 2012

Last night was interesting.. to say the least. The pub scene here in Melbourne is dramatically different from what are accustomed to in Auburn. Our Australian friends were also surprised by the pub we visited. It was not their usual stomping grounds but they felt the need to take us to a more lively nightlife. I believe they learned their lesson from this mistake.


Today we went to take a tour of the Melbourne Cricket Ground. I did not realize that a cricket venue would be such a tourist attraction. Apparently it is for Australian cricket enthusiasts. We were fortunate enough to have a wonderful volunteer tour guide who has been part of the club since 1949. He was quite the cricket enthusiast and explained all aspects of the Melbourne Cricket Club. Membership in the club is a luxury of high society for Australians and has a huge waiting list. They are very selective in order to maintain reasonable numbers so the club accommodations are not overcrowded during games. If you are member of the club, you have access to exquisite dining, club level seating, tons of stadium pubs, and other attractions not available to a regular ticket holder. If I were to go to a cricket match, I would definitely have to be a club member and have a ton of money to keep my attention during the 5 day cricket match. I will leave this to my fellow Australians... cricket is not for me.

Jay, Chris, Professor Hein, and I also took some time to visit a Green Star building in Melbourne to support our thesis research called the "Council House 2". The building was a government office and had some great, yet poorly maintained innovations. It was a great example of sustainability gone wrong due to poor maintenance practices. This seems to be a common denominator across many buildings that simply want the 5 or 6 Green Star rating simply for public relations. 

This evening we went to a play. Although I would not choose to attend a play in my leisure time, I enjoyed this play. It was called "The Summer of the Seventeenth Doll" which was based on the 1950s era in Melbourne. Afterwards, we went back to the RMIT village where I completed my last load of laundry and finished packing to leave tomorrow.


 The Melbourne Cricket Grounds

 The yellow seat within the blue section represents the landing point
for the longest hit in the history of the Melbourne Cricket grounds. This 
is extremely rare and has never happened again.

 The cricket field which can be converted to a football field.
Interesting because it is circular?

 Entrance into the high class club levels

 Some views from the club level seating

 One of the atriums in the exclusive club level. 

The Council House Melbourne Green Star building.

No comments:

Post a Comment